The latest and greatest tech gear can sometimes come with jaw-dropping, sky-high price tags. But...
More often than not these days, when an actor makes headlines it’s largely a result of some kind...
Image: John Rintoul, styling: Arrnott Olssen. When it comes to buying a new pair of men's swim...
Written by Ed Feil The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced that the B.1.1.529 lineage of...
Family’s Warning After Man Tragically Dies From Caffeine Overdose
By Mens Health Staff | May 1, 2021
Lachlan Foote was a talented musician saving to travel overseas and study science at university.
But the 21-year-old’s life was tragically taken early last year, after he collapsed on the bathroom floor of his parents’ Blue Mountains home.
Watch the video below
His father Nigel Foote said a protein shake his athletic, healthy son had taken before turning in after New Year’s Eve celebrations with friends on December 31, 2017, was originally suspected in his death.
Now the NSW coroner has finally given the family closure, finding Lachlan died from caffeine toxicity.
It was the caffeine powder Lachlan added to his shake that night that took his life, without any knowledge of its potency or its potential to kill.
The recommended dose on the packaging usually states just one-sixteenth of a teaspoon.
A full teaspoon is the equivalent of between 28 and 50 cups of coffee, and can send the user into cardiac arrest.
Yet the substance, despite being banned in the US last year after the similar death of an 18-year-old Ohio college student, remains legal, and easily available, in Australia.
Nigel Foote says it was clear his son had no idea about the powder’s recommended dose and its potentially lethal consequences.
“We think Lachlan obtained the caffeine powder from a friend or work associate as a thorough search of his computer and bank statements, by both myself and the police, revealed no mention of caffeine powder, only related protein-powder products,” he told 7NEWS..
“So it appears the pure caffeine powder was bought by someone else and shared.
“So it’s very likely that Lachlan never got to read the warning label on the packet and was unaware of its potency.
“The fact that he kept the caffeine powder in our kitchen pantry – where one of us might have mistaken it for flour or sugar – proves the point.
“Lachlan would never have kept it there, had he known it was a threat to the family.”
Over the weekend, Nigel posted his son’s last message to his friends on social media, as part of a warning to others over the deadly white powder that remains legal here.
MONDAY AT 2:07 AM (1-1-18)
Lachlan: “i think my protein powder has gone off. Just made an anti hangover / workout shake and it tasted awful”
Lachlan: “dunno, was kinda bitter though… anyway night lads”
MONDAY AT 2:14 AM
Lachlan: “cya in the morning”
“Morning never came for Lachlan,” says Nigel.
“We found him, dead and cold on the bathroom floor on New Year’s Day 2018, the day before his 22nd birthday.”
The Foote family say they bear no ill feeling toward whoever shared the caffeine powder with Lachlan, as they are convinced it was just a tragic, innocent mistake.
But on Monday, after sharing Lachlan’s story on Facebook and receiving thousands of responses, they decided to push for a full coronial inquiry, in the hope it will raise public awareness.
“We want to warn people about the dangers of pure caffeine powder before someone else dies – it’s only a matter of time,” Nigel says.
“We hope to raise enough public awareness to have the product taken off the market or highly regulated.
“It’s scandalous that this product has not been banned in Australia (as it has in America) and we feel that the NSW Food Authority, and Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) are failing in their duty to protect consumers.”
Unlike the US, however, supplements are not regulated by state or federal food authorities here.
The Therapeutic Goods Authority is the responsible authority, but in June last year, the TGA postponed placing tighter regulations on caffeine powder “in response to feedback received from industry stakeholders”.
Those stakeholders included the Australian Self Medication Industry and Complementary Medicines Australia.
“The TGA decided to further review their proposed changes,” it said in a statement provided to 7NEWS..
“This review is ongoing.”
This article originally appeared on 7News
This Christmas/New Year may feel a little different – and that’s ok. It’s been an interesting year (to say the least) and as we get back to normality, it may be that fitness and health hasn’t quite made it on to the to-do list just yet. There’s a lot competing for...
If you’re in the loop of Netflix binge-worthy watches, it’s likely that you’ve heard about tick, tick…BOOM! Despite having only just recently landed on the streaming platform, the film has become something of a pop culture phenomenon, amassing countless views and...
Holiday parties are, more often than not, only sort of fun. Corporate blowouts of yore have given way to mildly festive, just-as-awkward after-work "drinks." Hosting friends and family usually equates to a slow-build of stress that bursts into a flurry of activity and...
With a health condition as common as skin cancer, widespread myths and misconceptions must be quashed to keep Australians safe in the sun and confident in their skin. Skin cancer is a bigger issue than many people realise. TAL research found more than half of...
Recommended to you
The world of sport has long produced an inspirational story, giving us characters with...
When it comes to icons of the screen, Sylvester Stallone is up there with the best. The man who...
Politix When Lady Gaga ascended the stage of the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards draped in various...
Test cricket captain Tim Paine readily admits to being one of the luckiest athletes in Australian...
PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRIS MOHEN A decade ago, when Michael Clarke became Test captain of Australia, he...