“All of these non-protein food components may be helping dietary amino acids to support the post-workout muscle building response,” explains study author Nicholas A. Burd, Ph.D., an exercise physiologist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
And what better super-carb is there than the tastiest of them all... sweet potato.
Containing close to 30g of carbs in a small 150g serve, sweet potato isn't just great for bulking up, it's packed with Vitamin C too, notes Burrell. According to a study by the Loughborough University,cortisol levels can soar as a result of a carb-deficient diet, compromising the immune system. So sweet potato is a great perfect combination of carbs and nutrients to keep you on your feet.
Luckily, we can have a solid dose of both of these man-friendly super foods thanks to Rebecca Gawthorne from Nourish Naturally who has teamed up with Australian Eggs to create a wholesome sweet potato Spanish omelette full of protein and perfect for any time of day.
1 medium sweet potato, peeled
3 tbs olive oil
1 small zucchini, sliced
5 Free Range @AustralianEggs
50 ml milk of choice
1 medium brown onion, finely diced
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
2 tsp curry powder
2 tbs garlic chives, chopped
- Slice sweet potato into 1/2cm thin slices.
- Coat sweet potato in 2 tbs olive oil & place onto a 24cm diameter fry pan, evenly covering the base of pan.
- Turn stove on medium heat & place lid on fry pan. Cook until sweet potato is cooked though.
- In a large bowl, place 5 eggs (whites & yolk) & whisk. Add milk, onion, carrot, garlic chives & 1 tsp curry. Mix. Add 1 tbs olive oil & mix.
- Pour over cooked sweet potato in pan. Reduce heat to low and cover with lid to cook evenly for approx. 10min. Take off lid, top with sliced zucchini & remaining curry.
- Place under heated grill without lid until top is crispy & golden brown.
- Remove from pan, slice & enjoy.