STACKING ON MUSCLE . . .
- "When you do chin-ups, really focus on minimising the movement of your legs. Once you can do 12 in a row with perfect form then start adding extra weight. But never cheat. If your arms aren’t locked at the bottom of every chin-up then it’s the same as doing half a biceps curl."
- "Introduce a horizontal pulling exercise like seated rows or cable pulls. Get a workout buddy to place his hand in the middle of your back and aim to squeeze his fingers with your shoulder-blades on every rep."
- "The overhead shoulder press is vital for developing your shoulders. Dumbbells are generally better as each arm works independently. But a barbell is good for maximum loading."
ADDING VARIETY . . .
- "Try the bottom-up press with a kettlebell. Hold the handle and rotate until the bottom of the bell faces the ceiling. In this position, press the kettlebell to the ceiling until your arm is almost straight. Freshening up your workout every 4-6 weeks with new exercises gives your muscles different stimulation."
- "Modern life involves so much sitting that your shoulders tend to get rounded. You need to reverse that by opening your chest up and pulling your shoulders back. Perform two back workouts to every push workout as a minimum."
SHREDDING FAT . . .
- "Reducing your waist-size and body-fat will naturally give you more of a V shape. The biggest dietary tweak to focus on? Eat less processed junk and more wholefoods."
- "When you’re stressed your body produces cortisol. That can make it harder to lose weight. As soon as you notice you’re getting stressed, focus on slowing your breathing. Start by breathing in for two seconds and out for two seconds. Work up to four seconds in, four seconds out."
- "Don’t underestimate the volume of kilojoules you can take in from liquids. A can of Coke, a glass of wine and three lattes can amount to half your daily kilojoule-intake."
- "A banana and a handful of cashews makes for a great snack. They’ll give you a bit of all the macro food groups – carbs, protein and fats. Got a sweet tooth? Sub the banana for a handful of strawberries."