Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 200g of dried penne (When I have time I love making homemade pasta, with an appliance like the Philips Pasta Maker, to create fresh and delicious pasta in less than 15 minutes. See ingredients and method below)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 200g Mushrooms, sliced (try and get a mixture of several varieties)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Shallots, finely sliced
- 4 Cloves garlic
- ¼ Cup skinless hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 Cups baby spinach
- 1 Bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves picked
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- 2 Bunches asparagus, cut into bite-sized lengths
- 40g Pecorino, grated
Ingredients for Making Homemade Penne: (Serves 4)
- 200g Whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 1 Egg plus enough water to make up to 90g
Method for Making With Dried Pasta
- Heat olive oil in a wide frying pan over high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
- Add butter, shallots and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until shallots have softened.
- Season with a pinch of salt, then add hazelnuts, baby spinach, parsley, lemon zest and juice, then toss to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add penne to the boiling water. Cook for 30 seconds then add the asparagus. Cook for a further two minutes before draining.
- Toss penne and asparagus through mushroom mixture. Divide between serving bowls, grate over pecorino. Then serve.
Method for Making Homemade Penne with a Pasta Maker:
- Fit the Pasta Maker with the penne attachment. Place flour and one tablespoon thyme leaves into the mixing compartment of the pasta machine.
- Whisk together egg and water.
- Turn on the machine to automatic and slowly pour in egg mixture. In about three minutes, the pasta will start to extrude.
- Cut the penne into 4cm lengths and set aside. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the penne.