Benedict Cumberbatch has played all manner of iconic roles, but in his most recent film The Power...
With No Time to Die marking Daniel Craig’s final outing as the iconic 007 agent, James Bond,...
Image: John Rintoul, styling: Arrnott Olssen. When it comes to buying a new pair of men's swim...
Test cricket captain Tim Paine readily admits to being one of the luckiest athletes in Australian...
5 Simple Habits To Be The Healthiest Version Of Yourself
By Mens Health Staff | May 1, 2021
We’re all trying our best to live life to the fullest while sticking to a healthy routine. But unfortunately, when you have thousands of options thrown at you daily, it’s hard to maintain a balanced lifestyle.
No doubt you have a few bad habits you wish you could break and a few you wish you could keep up more often. But before you tell yourself that you should be doing this and doing that, let’s take a step back and consider the following:
- Stop doing one thing in your life that is unhealthy or bad for you. For many, it’s not as easy as going cold turkey, so even taking baby steps to stop that one thing is a positive move.
- Start doing one thing that will benefit your health and well-being.
- Keep doing that one thing that is beneficial to your health.
With the above in mind, I have taken note of some healthy habits that we all could benefit from implementing into our lifestyle this year.
These tips are a great idea to stick on the fridge or wardrobe, a reminder each day when you wake up or go to sleep.
Increase your water intake
- An easy way to start your water intake each day is to have 500ml or 1L of water as soon as you wake up.
Remember our daily intake of water as a guide looks like
- women – 2.1 l (about 8 cups)
- men – 2.6 l (about 10 cups)
Take a break from technology
We are glued to our phones, tablets, and mobile devices more than ever.
- Aim to have a break from any social media or mobile device for an hour each day.
- Try to increase the time away as each week as it becomes easier.
Fit more steps in
Sounds simple, doesn’t it? However, we take walking for granted and some of us like to get the Rock Star park or Uber it 5 minutes down the road to a meeting. Let’s try and walk more, this can be as simple as:
- Walking 10 minutes to dinner.
- Team meetings – walking around the block or taking a coffee away and looping the park.
- Walk to the shopping centre or park outside.
Help out the environment
- One simple task: buy a keep cup. Almost every café has the option to purchase a keep cup and you usually get a free cup of coffee with it.
- Aim for ceramic or environmentally friendly cups.
Sort your sleep routine out
Be consistent. Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning, including on the weekends.
- Make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark, relaxing, and at a comfortable temperature.
- Remove electronic devices such as TVs, computers, and smart phones from the bedroom.
- Avoid large meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bedtime.
- Get some exercise. Being physically active during the day can help you fall asleep more easily at night.
Finally, a good friend of mine has a great mantra that He has passed onto me, and it is a gentle way to remember if there is ever stressful day or you need a reset.
B – Breathe – Take one minute to focus on your breath, take a three second count inhale, and a three second count exhale.
E – Eat – Eat fresh, non-processed food that is wholesome and good for you.
S – Sleep – Be consistent, aim for 7-8 hours per night.
T – Technology – Put a screen downtime lock on your phone, or give yourself at least an hour each day for your phone, laptop or device.
With the Christmas countdown now on, balancing the inevitable rush of work deadlines and juggling life and family commitments before the summer holidays can be stressful. After another year of lockdowns and uncertainty, many of us feel we are crawling to the finish...
Sure, you might want a six-pack in time for summer, to be able to perform a muscle-up to impress your friends or to avoid being embarrassed by your love handles when you take off your shirt. But what really motivates you to get in shape might be something more...
While it might seem like everyone with a pulse has a podcast these days, few can rival the success of Rich Roll. The swimmer-turned-corporate lawyer wants always the pinnacle of health we see today, a man whose vulnerability and strength has encouraged so many others...
Will Smith is no stranger to speaking his truth. The actor, who continues to draw a crowd as one of Hollywood’s most bankable movie stars, has increasingly offered fans a glimpse into the personal life once safe-guarded. Where celebrities tend to shy away from the...
Recommended to you
PHOTOGRAPHY: ROWAN FEE, JOBE LAWRENSON, MAX OPPENHEIM From chancers to financiers and tech...
If you weren’t aware of the significance of November, you’d need only take a stroll through your...
Politix When Lady Gaga ascended the stage of the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards draped in various...
In recent years, the push to see immediate climate action adopted by governments and businesses...
You need only look at Chris Hemsworth to know that this is a man who dedicates a large part of his...