Prep time: 30 mins / Cooking time: 15-20 mins / Serves: 6-8
1 medium-sized sweet potato, peeled, finely cubed
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely diced
2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and grated
1 ½ cups (270g) cooked black beans or 1 x 400g canned beans, rinsed and drained
1 2/3 cups (420g) tomatoes, diced
1 medium-sized red apple, peeled and finely grated
1 cup (170g) corn kernels
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp dried oregano
sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 large avocado, peeled, finely chopped
1 cup (75g) shredded lettuce
1/2 cup (120g) sour cream or natural yoghurt
1/4 cup (5g) fresh coriander
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Toss the sweet potato cubes with 1/2 tbs olive oil and bake in the oven for 10-15 mins or until cooked through and browned on the outside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat and fry onions and garlic for 3 mins or until soft. Add carrots and fry for another 3 mins. Add beans, tomato, apple, corn, lime juice and spices and simmer for 10 mins. Season to taste.
- Serve black bean mix in Arrowroot Tortillas (see below) topped with avocado, lettuce, sour cream and coriander leaves (optional).
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 4 months.
Tip: Replace sweet potato with fried chicken strips for a meaty version. For a dairy-free version, replace the sour cream with coconut cream.
Prep time: 4 mins per tortilla / Cooking time: 16 mins / Makes: 8 small tortillas
4 eggs, beaten
2 tbs coconut cream
1/2 cup (60g) arrowroot
2 tsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
Coconut oil, melted (for frying)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients (aside from the oil) until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat and brush with some coconut oil.
- Pour 1/8 of the batter into the pan, swirling it to coat the base.
- Cook for approximately 1 or 2 mins on each side. Continue with rest of batter.
- Keep tortillas warm until ready to serve.
Serving and Storing Leftovers: Serve immediately, warm. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Tip: Replace the coconut cream with milk of choice. These can be used to replace wraps and are delicious on their own.